Friday, August 13, 2010

Reflection on things that I have learned so far this year in Language Arts That Have Been Valuable for Me

I have learnt many new things in my LA lessons after 3 terms in school. Among them, I will highlight mainly 2 things that I have improved the most. They are my comprehension skills and my appreciation for poems.

When I first entered Hwa Chong, my comprehension skills were not very good. I usually encountered many problems while doing the comprehension assignments in my primary school. However,after Mr Lundberg taught us some skills to tackle comprehension, I found that I was able to answer the questions more easily and I did not struggle as much as before.

In the past, I also did not enjoy poems at all. I found that they were very boring and that they made no sense. After Mr Lundberg taught us about poems and shared with us some interesting poems in class, I enjoyed poems alot and also started writing my own poems. I also understand that poems have deeper meanings behind them and as I read more poems, I began to feel that I can understand more of the author's emotions and what he is thinking about.

1 comment:

  1. I had the same exact feelings at the start of the year in Hwa Chong Institution. I also had some uncertainties doing poems at the first time. However after Mr Lunberg's Lesson, I was also able to learn appreciate both the poem's and the speakers emotions and thoughts. The poems which he went through in class, I also found were quite interesting after he explained them to us. Before the ten-step poem which he thought us, I would think they were a jumble of words.

    ReplyDelete