Monday, April 4, 2011

Term 2 LA ACE Blog Post 3

Racial slurs should be illegal, I totally agree with this statement. Racial slur is defined as insinuations or allegations about members of a given ethnicity or to refer to them in a derogatory (critical or disrespectful), pejorative (disapproving or contemptuous), or insulting manner. Racial slurs will lead to discrimination of certain races, and may even cause racial riots. All races should be united and treated equally, insulting other races and giving them nicknames is just a childish and lame act that should be banned as it will only cause social unrest in the community.

Reflections:


When I was in primary school, all of my classmates were Chinese, except for one, who was a Malay. Most of my classmates disliked him just becuase he was of a different race. They despised him and austracised him, and they even called him names such as "chocolate cake". I could tell that the victim was very deeply hurt, and a few of my classmates tried to stop the rest of my classmates from bullying the victim. At that time, I did not do anything to stop the bullying. Looking back, I feel very guilty about my actions then. I really regretted not helping the victim. If only, I had been a good friend to him that time, he might have felt better. He certainly needed a good friend to lend him support. That incident made me learn that I should never discriminate others of different races.

No comments:

Post a Comment