Thursday, September 29, 2011

Write about a time when in wanting to make someone happy you were forced to make a big sacrifice

I can still remember that day, when I willingly made a big sacrifice to make someone really close to me happy. Two years back, I was one of the 5 athletes chosen to go for an overseas Wushu training program in China after the stringent selection trial. We were going to China to prepare ourselves for the World Youth Wushu Championships. I had trained many months for the selection trial, and my hard work paid off. I was on cloud nine after receiving the news that I was one of the 5 athletes selected to go for intensive training and represent Singapore in the 2009 World Youth Wushu Championships.

However, on the day which we were supposed to leave for China, my uncle suddenly called my mother. After talking to him over the phone, my mother told me that my great-grandfather had cancer and was sent to the hospital. He was suffering from terminal illness and his final wish was for me, his favourite great-grandson, to visit him in hospital.

At that moment, I was in a dilemma. My great-grandfather, who had brought me up since young and took care of me, was in the hospital, suffering from a terminal illness. To fulfill my duty as a filial great-grandson, it is only right that I visit him! On the other hand, if I were to visit my great-grandfather, I would miss my chance of going to China to train with their national team and might even miss the opportunity to represent Singapore for the World Youth Wushu Championships! All my efforts would have been wasted then!

It was as if I was between the devil and the deep blue sea. I had to think seriously about this issue before making a final decision. I knew that no matter what my choice was, there would be some regret in my decision. After thinking hard on the issue, I decided to give up my chance to go for the intensive training in China and go to the hospital to accompany my great-grandfather. After all he had done for me in the past few years, and all the invaluable and unconditional love he has shown to me over these years, it is only right that I grant him his final wish. Regardless how big the sacrifice is, I must still do whatever I can to make him happy. This will be the last time I am able to do something which can show him my love and care.

After visiting my great-grandfather at the hospital and seeing him for the last time, I felt very touched. All these years, he had showered so much love on me, but I did nothing to repay his love. At last, I was finally able to grant him his last wish and make him happy just before he passed away.

Thinking back, I never regretted my decision. In fact, I was glad that I made the right choice at that time to go and visit him one last time before he passed away. It was certainly a worthy sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment